As a child of divorce and someone who has gone through the process of marital dissolution, I empathize with the challenges you are facing. For nearly 25 years, I have focused on getting my clients through a process that combines legal complexities with emotional issues.
I established the to find creative and effective resolutions with compassion in dealing with my clients combined with an aggressive approach in court when opposing sides refuse to compromise. Specific areas of my family law practice include:
- Child custody — The best interests of the children come first in every custody-related decision. Disputes arise when one party is not focused on the welfare of his or her kids, acting selfishly and vengeful against his or her spouse. While contested child custody matters are not ideal, I will aggressively pursue the best option in court on behalf of my clients and their children.
- Child support — State statutes dictate strict calculations involving gross income, expenses and number of children. However, the accuracy of the data is sometimes questioned when a spouse is hiding assets or money or is voluntarily underemployed or unemployed.
- Spousal support — Spousal support, also known as alimony, falls under two categories: interim and permanent. Essentially, one spouse has the need and the other has the means. While no statutes govern this complex area of divorce law, income and expenses are factors in determining both durations and amounts.
- Community property — Dividing marital assets is not as easy as dividing by two. Negotiations can drag out and investigations in valuing property can be in-depth and sometimes disputed. As a Lake Charles divorce and family law attorney, my job is to negotiate with the parties to find resolution or litigate when that provides the best option.
- Paternity — A child born to unmarried couples can create disputes when relationships end. Mothers want a biological father to step up and financially support their children. Fathers want quality time through custody and visitation arrangements.