Focused On
Family Law

It’s Hard To Deal With Protective Orders

Relationships are complicated. That’s not an understatement. I’ve known many people in many complicated I know that sometimes you have done what you must do. Sometimes that means taking steps in court to protect yourself.

At my firm, , I am an attorney who routinely works with people seeking a protective order under Louisiana law. It is as complicated an issue as any under Louisiana law. Both those seeking protective orders and those subject to them have rights that deserve protection. And I help people from Lake Charles secure the help they need.

Securing A Protective Order

Often when someone represents a danger to you, either a former spouse, someone you had a relationship or, in some cases, total strangers, you must take steps. You have several options when that happens, which we’ll discuss below.

Regardless, to learn about the most appropriate choice for you and your family from an experienced lawyer, contact me. I can walk you through the process and explain your rights and the law. I want to help you find the safety you deserve.

Responding To A Protective Order

You have a lot at stake when you are the subject of a protective order. Protective orders can impact your record; they can make it difficult to find work and often be an obstacle for you to have a relationship with your children. It’s not easy to find yourself in, and you need help.

I can offer you the representation and advocacy you need to respond to the orders against you. I know this is a hard moment for you, but you have a way forward.

Answers To Your Questions

You have many questions, no matter which side you’re on in a protective order situation. I want to give you the answers you need the most. Sometimes, that means knowing your situation intimately, but there are plenty of questions that have general answers that can guide you. Questions like:

What are my options for a protective order?

You have several options under Louisiana law when you need a protective order. The options vary in a few ways, from severity to length, and the appropriate order will differ depending on your situation. Technically, all the options are protective orders, but the most common are:

  • Temporary restraining orders: As the name suggests, these are temporary. The court issues them in response to a request for a protective order. It’s meant to serve as immediate legal relief during the time before the full hearing.
  • Injunctions against abuse: These are orders specifically for victims of violence in family law matters. They prohibit abuse of partners or children during the proceeding. These are a part of the divorce process.
  • Criminal orders of protection: A criminal order of protection happens when you are a victim of a crime. The court orders the perpetrator to stay away from you. However, they are also used in intimate partner violence and sexual assault or stalking by strangers.

The right protective order for you may depend on many factors, but there is an option.

How does a protective order work?

Protective orders work by clarifying what sort of relief the victim of violence has available to them. If subjects violate the protective order, they violate the law, and the police may arrest them. This raises the stakes for the subject significantly and jeopardizes their freedom.

Can a victim overrule a protective order on their own?

Many people think a petitioner can “nullify” their order simply by agreeing to see the subject. This is not exactly the case. While a petitioner can agree to meet with the person they have an order against; the order is still in effect. If they were to turn around and report the violation, the police would enforce the order.

When there is a protective order in effect, it is wise for all persons to abide by the terms.

Insight Into Protective Orders

Since I work with clients on both sides of these matters, I have insight into the full process. I can offer guidance that can and will make an impact on you. Contact my office to get a meeting and find out how I can help you. You can reach me by phone at 337-401-4668 or send an email.